Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Two Gigs, One Souncheck

Did everyone have a good Thanksgiving? I know I'm a few days late on the follow-up but it's been pretty stressful these past few days. Mary Beth and I got back from ETown on Friday and then, almost immediately, turned around and traveled to Centerfield for a JMB gig. Yes, yes, the rumors are true the Josh Martin Band is still alive and kicking- we've actually got some pretty big plans in the making right now. I can't say too much sense nothing is set in stone but we are going to have a meeting about it next Thursday and I will say that I don't think you'll be disappointed. But anywho, Friday night we played at Cowboy church in Centerfield. You heard me right... Cowboy church. I could explain it to you but you're just going to have to come see us next year to truly understand. It was a great night. Doug couldn't be there with us but that didn't seem to stop us from playing a fantastic show. I walked off the stage that night feeling more confident about our performance than I ever have before. We pulled out a new one on the crowd- Clumsy Believer, which is sure to become one of our favorite songs. We had practiced it on two separate occasions before Friday night and for the amount of time and energy we put into that song, it turned out to be superb.
Saturday. We sat around at my house for awhile the next day until I called Wilcutt Guitars in Lexington and talked to them about purchasing a new acoustic guitar. The guitar didn't have a pickup in it so they installed one and then I went and bought it. I'll dedicate a whole post to the guitar either tomorrow or the next day when I've had a chance to actually play it on stage. It's an Epiphone Masterbilt and I am absolutely loving it but I don't want to say too much about it in this post. Saturday night we had a concert at another Cowboy church (actually, I think they call it Country Church in Brandenburg) which didn't go quite as well as the previous one. It was just aa hectic night overall. We got there about 2 hours early in order to set up our equipment and get a good sound check... or so we thought. We were all under the impression that Brandenburg was in Central time- right over the border, but apparently they stick with Louisville's time. So, our extra 2 hours magically turned into 1 and we rushed to start 10 minutes late. I never really got in the right mindset to play a concert so both my playing and singing suffered quite a bit. But hey, at least I got the licks in the chorus of Clumsy Believer that night. (Did you hear them Kelly? I'm pretty sure I looked over at you a few times so you would know that I didn't screw them up again). Oh, and for some reason we could never get the bass level settled because I kept messing with my sound and my amp. Pretty soon I'll be saying good bye to my loud on-stage amp, and going with in-ear monitors- as long as I can get everything figured out and my mix right.

2 comments:

Kelly Briscoe said...

I must say Derek that I did hear the licks and saw you. I was just glad that we finally did them both at the same time. By the way, I as well had a hard time getting into the groove that night. But I think overall it went well and hopefully among our being late and the whole thing being a whirlwind, someone heard and understood the gospel. Plus the birthday party for Josh was worth the trip alone. See ya buddy!

d said...

After reading Josh's post on JMB's blog I realized how much I focus on the music and sometimes forget the whole reason we play. I thank God that Josh and you have both helped to put things into perspective. And yes, the birthday party was awesome. I want to see some of those pictures!