Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I am sitting here at the computer doing some research on different basses through harmonycentral reading reviews and what not and my dad just came down to play piano. He is playing songs from his southern gospel group, The Joymakers. For those unfamiliar with The Joymakers, they are one of the longest lasting southern gospel groups ever (Dad says that this is the groups 49th year.) Although the members have frequently changed the ministry has never stopped. The southern gospel world lost a great man this week with the passing of Tim Durall, Joymakers' tenor. My parents just got back from visitation and the funeral with be tomorrow. Tim was in his second stint with The Joymakers, I believe, and I have often listened to early Joymakers' recordings when Tim was with them in the past. The voice that comes through the speakers is honestly one of the best southern gospel tenor voices that I have ever heard. Not only was he an excellent vocalist, he was also one heck of a songwriter, writing many Joymaker songs throughout the years and also writing songs performed by professional groups. I have been priviledged to have been able to play with The Joymakers on a few occasions and Tim was always so much fun to be around. He will be greatly missed.

1 comment:

Kelly Briscoe said...

What little time I had spent around Tim over the years, I would agree with every statement you made.