Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Warning! This post is filled with musical jargon and some potentially boring content. You have been warned.

Let the quest begin. Last night I began my quest for the ultimate bass tone. Since listening to the rough mix of our newest album I've realized that I'm going about bass tone all wrong. All this time I have been searching for this perfect soloed bass tone, this tone that sounds exactly how I want it to sound... when I play by myself. But there's no way that this sound will work in the JMB. I need a less bassy, more midrangy, distint, cutting sound in order to get through 3 guitars and keyboards. I've been doing some research about different recording options and eq suggestions and I feel like such a loser. My amp has a graphic equalizer and I have been adjusting my sound by boosting the bass like crazy, leveling out for the mids, and then dropping a little bit of the highs off. While there could be worse things to do to my sound, this is not at all good. The lowest two frequencies that I've been boosting aren't even really audible to the human ear, and therefore, result in mostly low rumble and air movement. What I should be doing is cut those back drastically and mostly use the mid controls to shape my tone. I can't wait until Saturday when I can finally play through my whole rig again and try to fix what I've spent years messing up. I'll keep you posted on the details.

No comments: