Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I recently obtained Derek Webb's new CD, "Mockingbird" and it is absolutely amazing. For those who aren't familiar with Derek Webb, he was one of the singer/ songwriters in Caedmon's Call and is currently in the midst of a successful solo career. His latest album looks deep into God, politics, and social issues. Here are some lyrics that have been rolling through my mind the last couple of days from "Mockingbird."

there are two great lies that i've heard: the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him -from A King & A Kingdom

peace by way of war is like purity by way of fornication it's like telling someone murder is wrong and then showing them by way of execution -from My Enemies Are Men Like Me
are we defending life when we just pick and choose lives acceptable to lose and which ones to defend -from Love Is Not Against The Law

don't teach me about moderation and liberty, i prefer a shot of grape juice -from A New Law

my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man, my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood it's to a king & a kingdom -from A King & A Kingdom

come on and follow Me, but sell your house, sell your suv, sell your stocks, sell your security and give it to the poor -From Rich Young Ruler

1 comment:

Josh Martin said...

These lyrics hit me pretty hard also. Especially Rich young ruler. I like the line that says, "We speak the language and we keep all the rules, even a few we made up." I don't consider myself to be a rich man but that song was about me and my traditions.